Monday 30 January 2012

jan 30, 2012

 tonight, i spent a couple of hours reinforcing the fraying 9x6 foot patch of astroturf that's one of the main set pieces for my one woman show, falling open.

my show is playing its second run soon, and a bunch of the props need to be spruced up before we open. each night this week, my director and i have set a task that needs to be done in preparation for the show.

it was nice to be down on the floor with her tonight working on this huge swath of fabric. it felt sort of like quilting. in fact, for most of the time that i was working on it, the astroturf was laying over me like a blanket. it's amazing how cozy and reassuring these tasks are. practical, too.

what is this feeling that arises when i pick up a needle and thread and work on mending something? it's a mix of pride and comfort and satisfaction and self-sufficiency and relief.

i really like it...it's a ritual that's bringing a lot to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment